Canada Retaliatory Tariffs on US: Trade War Escalates
business

Canada Retaliatory Tariffs on US: Trade War Escalates

By Editorial TeamAug 23, 2026 · 6:31 AM3 min read
AI-generated representative image: A Canadian port and industrial harbor, illustrating the escalating US-Canada trade dispute over retaliatory tariffs.
Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Carney matches Washington's 50 percent levies dollar for dollar on steel, dairy and electronics

Canada will impose retaliatory tariffs on the United States after Washington introduced a 50 percent levy on $20bn worth of Canadian goods, Prime Minister Mark Carney announced on Saturday in Ottawa. The new Canadian measures, which take effect on September 8, will target US steel, dairy and electronics industries.

The announcement followed the collapse of intense negotiations late on Friday, further straining relations between the longtime trade partners and allies.

The escalating dispute carries significant economic consequences for both countries, with analysts warning of rising costs, higher prices and increased unemployment in Canada, where the US absorbs nearly 70 percent of exports. The move also signals a broader Canadian effort to diversify trade relationships away from its traditional dependence on the United States.

Major Policy Announcements

Carney said Canada would match Washington's tariffs dollar for dollar to protect Canadian workers, farmers, families and businesses. The retaliatory measures will cover US steel, dairy, appliances, agricultural equipment, pulp and paper, and electronics, along with some products the US previously targeted in Canada.

The government will release full details of its response in the coming days and announce support measures next week for industries affected by the US duties, which Carney said could last for years.

US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said no new talks are planned with Canada. "We're moving forward with measures that respond to Canadian retaliation," Greer told Fox News on Saturday.

Background of the Dispute

President Donald Trump's new tariffs hit sectors including wine, furniture, dairy products, cement, clothing, fishing rods and hockey equipment, covering roughly $20bn worth of goods, or 5.5 percent of Canadian exports to the US. Carney said the US proposed new terms that were "uneconomic, unfair and undermined the net benefits for Canada," including demands that would curtail Canada's ability to forge new trade deals.

Carney added that US negotiators made unacceptable threats to the French language and Quebec culture, referring to the French-speaking province in eastern Canada. He is among the few global leaders to retaliate against US tariffs and has pledged to build new trade and military alliances.

Reactions and Economic Impact

Ontario Premier Doug Ford backed the decision, saying he was glad Carney did not sign what Ford called "a bad deal for Ontario" affecting the auto, steel and manufacturing sectors. Public opinion surveys show most Canadians support a tougher approach, with a Leger poll last week finding 56 percent favored a hard line and no further concessions.

In the United States, Democratic lawmakers and governors from border states including Minnesota, New York and Washington criticized the tariffs. New York Governor Kathy Hochul said Trump was "needlessly picking fights with our allies and raising prices here at home." The Business Roundtable, a group of 200 chief executives of leading US corporations, warned the tariffs risk raising costs for American businesses and families and urged both governments to resume negotiations.

What Lies Ahead

The White House has issued no immediate comment on Canada's announcement. With no new talks planned, both countries are moving forward with their respective measures, and further details on Canada's tariff list and industry support programs are expected in the coming days.

MORE LIKE THIS

Comments (0)

Leave a comment

A verified Gmail account is required to post comments.

No comments yet. Be the first to share your thoughts!